Source: Andreas, A T. Andrea's historical atlas of Dakota. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884; [Printed by] R. R. Donnelley & Sons, The Lakeside Press.p. 146, col. 1--continued
In June of the same year Andrew J. Sweetser and his son Charles H., Captain Smith and George Bigelow visited the county. This party occupied about four weeks in looking it over and then returned to Sioux Falls.
On the 13th day of July following Andrew J. Sweetser and his son, in company with J. S. and S. S. Neilson, left that place to make a permanent settlement in Beadle County. On their return they found Martin Baum living on the James River, about two and a half miles north of Pearl Creek, where he had located a week or so before. These men selected their claims, proceeded to Springfield, and made the first filings in this county with the exception of the Cameron filings. Andrew J. Sweetser filed on the southwest quarter of Section 35, Town 111, Range 60 [Cavour]; J. S. Neilson on the southeast quarter of Section 5, and the northeast quarter of Section 8, Town 110, Range 60 [Richland]; S. S. Neilson on the southwest quarter of Section 4, and the northwest quarter of Section 9, Town 110, Range 60 [Richland]. In September Dennis H. Flynn, P. H. Flynn, Dennis Flynn, M. C. Flynn and J. P. Flynn made settlements on Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Town 110, Range 60 [Richland].
The population of Beadle County is mostly American, with some Germans and a sprinkling of other nationalities, and numbers about 10,000. It is one of the largest and best counties in southeast Dakota, and is in course of rapid development.
"The above design is based on a historical occurrence. As the first survey stake was being driven on the town site, on the corner of Dakota and First street, in May, 1880, there being at the time no buildings erected, two antelopes stood on the spot where Corbin's (now the Windsor) hotel stands, and watched the scene." The proceedings were signed by H. M. Jewett as clerk.