- 1964--Cornerstone laid, 23 Nov
1964. Mentions:Pastor E. A. NORTH.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Wed 23 Nov 1994, p4c3 '30 YEARS AGO']
- 1993 Oct--'Assembly of God marks 60
years'. Norma OLSON ELLIASON
[photograph], founder, formed the Huron Gospel Tabernacle at Dakota AV
& Fourth ST N. Current church
location:920 Lincoln AV SW. Rev.
John VISCONTI, pastor since 1989.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Wed 27 Oct 1993, p8c1]
- 1993 Dec--'Offering comfort to a
hurting world'. Mentions:Norma
OLSON ELIASON, Rev. John VISCONTI*, Fran ZEIGLER*. Photograph*.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 17 Dec 1993, p8c4]
- 1994 Jun--'Ministry for the sunset
years', Sunday morning services at Huron Nursing Home. Mentions:Rev. Howard CUMMINGS, Sharon
GRAYSON, Anna K. HOFER, Rebecca HOLFORTY, Bob KEELIN, Julia KEELIN,
Gertrude LEHR, Gene WALDNER, Ivan & Tilly WALZ. Group photograph.
[Source PLAINSMAN, Fri 3 Jun 1994, p5c1]
- 1994 Dec--'New pastor installed at
First Assembly', Rev. Edward ROSS.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 11 Dec 1994, p15c6]
- 1997--Installation of Rev. Steven J.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sat 20 Sep 1997, p6c3]
- 2000--'First Assembly of God pastor
installed', Rev. Thomas A. BRANTNER.
location:920 Lincoln AV SW.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 6 Aug 2000, pB2c1]
- 2001--'Huron pastor ordained by
Assemblies of God', Rev. Thomas BRANTNER.
Senior pastor since June 2000.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Wed 16 May 2001, p7c1]
- 2002--'Cummings to speak at
convention'. Rev. Howard L.
CUMMINGS served as pastor 1966-1975.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Thu 3 Oct 2002, p2c1]
- 2008--'First Assembly of God
celebrates 75 years' in November.
Organized August 1933.
Locations:Nov 1933, Dakota AV & Fourth ST NE; Dakota AV &
Wisconsin SE; 1935, 360 Ohio AV SW, dedicated Apr 1948; 1964, Lincoln AV
SW & Ninth ST; 1965, new building dedicated; 1977, dedicated. Mentions:Rev. Sam BENSON, Rev. CONKLIN,
Rev. ELIASON, Rev. E. A. NORTH, Norma OLSON, Rev. Don SCHORSCH.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 28 Sep 2008, pB10c3]
- 1994--'Christianity is a rock'. Rev. Bill* & Patty* HOLMES, pastor
since 1982. Church celebrated its
40th anniversary last year. Photograph*.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 28 Jan 1994, p5c2]
- 2002--'Celebrating 50 years of
teaching'. The church sanctuary was
once a one-room school at the present location on East 21st ST. Mentions:Rev. Bill* & Patty*
HOLMES, Rev. Calvin HUETHER.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 16 Jun 2002, pB1c2]
- 1887--'Baptist Church History.' Organized 23 Aug 1880; building
dedicated 20 Nov 1881. Mentions:L.
ADLER, (Miss) Georgia AMBROSE, Rev. George A. CRESSEY 1881-1884, C. H.
[O.? H.] DAVIS, Rev. J. W. DAVIS 1883-1886, Mrs. Dr. DICKINSON, Mrs. J. H.
DeVOE, Mrs. E. DOOLITTLE, Rev. E. ENGLISH, Deacon FRANCIS, R. A. HARRIS, Rev.
D. E. HALTEMAN, Mr. & Mrs. A. T. JAMES, George A. KELSEY, F. J. MATTS,
Mrs. MAXFIELD, M. H. McHENRY, (Miss) Amy MILLER (now Mrs. GLENN), George
MILLER, Mrs. I. N. MUTCHLER, Mrs. Amelia NEAL, F. M. NEFF, Charles
PARKHURST, Mrs. E. A. PEARSON, Rev. W. S. PETERSON, Rev. J. B. POMEROY,
Mrs. M. QUIGGS, Mrs. RISDON, Rev. A. F. THOMPSON, W. E. WADE, Edwin G.
WHEELER, WRIGHT house, Mrs. M. F. WRIGHT.
[Source:DAILY HURONITE, Sat 15 Oct 1887, p4c3]
- 1898--'The reception tendered the new
pastor of the Baptist church, Rev. Mr. STARRING, Saturday evening, was
[Source:DAKOTA HURONITE, Thu 10 Feb 1898, p8c3]
- 1950--'First Baptist Church Started 70
Years Ago', 23 Jul 1880.
Mentions:Dr. W. H. BAYLES, Rev. George A. CRESSEY, Rev. Jonathan
NIELSEN 1946-1948, Rev. W. Leslie PUGH, Rev. Edwin RING, Rev. Alfred
[Source:HURONITE & DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 24 Sep 1950, p1c1]
- 1990--'Baptists to note 110th
anniversary'. Mentions:Rev. Edwin
L. BROWN, Rev. Ron COWLES, Rev. George CRESSEY, Rev. Palmer SWENSON.
[Source:HURON DAILY PLAINSMAN, Wed 15 Aug 1990, p2c4]
- 1994--1994 Directory of First Baptist Church.
- 1994--'A place for all at First'. Locations:3rd ST & Kansas AV SE,
5th ST & Kansas AV SE, 1420 McClellan DR SW. Mentions:Cliff BAILEY*, Rozella GLANZER*, Doug NORTH*, Rev.
Phil THOMAS*. Group photograph*.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 20 May 1994, p9c2]
- 1999--'Shermer becomes interim pastor
at First Baptist'. Rev. William
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 25 Jul 1999, pB1c1]
- 2000 Jul--'New pastor coming to First
Baptist'. Rev. Lawrence 'Lew'
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sat 29 Jul 2000, p5c1]
- 2000 Oct--'First Baptist to install
new pastor'. Rev. Lawrence 'Lew'
CHRISTENSEN. Photograph. Mentions:Rev. Ed PURCELL, Rev. Mark SARGENT,
Rev. Truman SPROLES.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Wed 4 Oct 2000, pB1c1]
- 2005 Jul--'First Baptist Church
celebrates 125-year anniversary'.
Locations:Kansas AV SE & 3rd ST, Kansas AV SE & 5th ST,
14th ST & McClellan DR.
Mentions:Rev. L. B. BABBITT 1913-1916, Ballard BLOUNT 1974-1983,
Ann BOYD, Rev. Ed BROWN, Jo CAIN, Lew CHRISTENSEN 2000-present, Rev. &
Mrs. George CRESSEY 1880-1884, CUNNINGHAM, DeeDee DABNEY, John DAVEY
1962-1965, Rev. J. W. DAVID 1885-1860, Rev. George EARNSHAW 1953-1955,
Rev. Elisha ENGLISH 1886-1890, Rev. Frank GILLETT, Rev. F. E. HUDSON
1906-1910, Charles LANDON 1966-1970, Rev. Paul LEMKE, Rev. R. J. LLOYD
1917-1925, Rev. Earl LONGFELLOW 1941-1946, Rev. Cornelius MALLEY
1900-1902, Rev. Jonathan NIELSEN 1946-1948, Rev. A. P. PALM, John PALMER
1971-1973, Rev. W. Leslie PUGH 1949-1952, Rev. F. H. RICHARDSON 1902-1905,
Rev. William SHERMER, Rev. George STARRING 1898-1899, Rev. C. H. STULL
1912-1912, Rev. J. P. STYLES 1892-1894, Rev. H. B. SUNDT, Rev. Palmer
SWENSON 1956-1961, Phil THOMAS 1991-1998, Rev. Alfred TRENERRY 1929-1941,
Gail TWINING 1984-1989, Rev. J. O. WHITE 1925-1928, Rev. S. D. WORKS
1894-1897. Photographs of the
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 17 Jul 2005, pB1c1]
- 2005 Aug--'First Baptist proclaimed
'Church of the Day'. First Baptist
celebrates their 125th anniversary Aug 21. Location:1420 McClellan DR.
Mentions:Rev. Ballard BLOUNT, Rev. Charles LANDON, Rev. Gail
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Wed 31 Aug 2005, p6c2]
- 2007 Apr--'Hunt called by First
Baptist in Huron'. Rev. Ken
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 1 Apr 2007, p6c1]
- 2007 Apr--'Hunt becomes new pastor at
First Baptist Church'. Ken HUNT
assumed his duties March 1.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sat 21 Apr 2007, p6c1]
- 2007 Nov--'Pastor installation planned
Sunday'. Rev. Ken HUNT
[photograph]. Mentions:Dr. Riley
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sat 10 Nov 2007, p6c4]
- 2011--'Sharing God's word with
all'. Pastor Marc ANDERSON began
his duties Jan 1.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sat 12 Feb 2011, p6c1]
- 1994--'Talk is a healing gift at Huron Baptist'. Location:9th ST & Lincoln AV. Rev. Roger BOEHM. Photograph. Established 1965 by the Southern Baptist Convention. Mentions:Ida FERGUSON, Cal HUETHER, Dorothy MURPHY.
- 1995--'Baptists raise roof on local
church'. Built in 1969 at 9th ST
& Lincoln AV SW. Mentions:Rev.
Roger BOEHM, Carl EAVES, Thomas LAMB, Stephanie LEE, Rev. Dennis WILBANKS. Photograph.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Thu 6 Jul 1995, p5c2]
Church of the Resurrection,
Saint Martin of Tours,
Holy Trinity Catholic Parish
large parish over which Father DESMOND has presided for the past seven
years has been divided and the portion east of the river with Cavour as
residence, has been cut off, and is by Bishop O’GORMON’s appointment under
the jurisdiction of Rev. Father O’FARRELL. The new parish consists of Cavour, Iroquois, St. Williams
and Bancroft, while Father DESMOND will have the city, with an outer
mission at Broadland. It is
wonderful what faithfulness to duty will work in localities as well as in
individuals. Father DESMOND has
had charge of seven districts for the past seven years and it stands to
his credit that the outer districts have been attended to as assidously
[assiduously/diligently] as Huron.
The Rev. gentleman is as well known in Cavour, St. Williams,
Broadland, Wolsey, Wessington and Bonilla, and his personality prized as
much in these districts as in this city, where he is so highly esteemed
both as a citizen and a clergyman.
The people of the new parish put up a $3000 pastoral house, one of
the finest priests’ residence in the Diocese of Sioux Falls. Contractor ISSENHUTH of this city
erected the building. The entire
building is heated by hot water, put in by Mr. WAIBEL of this city. What is most gratifying of all is that
the house is practically out of debt, thanks to the generosity of the good
[Source:JOURNAL=WORLD, Thu 14 Jan 1904, p11c6]
- 1906--Catholic Church, Huron, Block 13,
Lots 8 & 9, 2nd Railway Addition (NE corner Kansas & 5th Streets).
[Source:1906 ATLAS, p89]
c1906--St. Martin’s Church photograph.
[Source:1906 ATLAS, p99b]
- 1913--'To Erect Fine New Church
Building, Work on New $22,000 Catholic Church Building to Begin in Two
Weeks'. Mentions:Father DESMOND,
[Source:WEEKLY STATE SPIRIT, Thu 17 Apr 1913, p3c2]
John GAIRE '…Assumes Charge of Parish”; succeeds Monsignor D. F. DESMOND,
who …[headed] the Huron parish for nearly 42 years'.
[Source:EVENING HURONITE, Fri 13 Feb 1931, p1c2]
D. F. DESMOND serves 40 years as priest of St. Martins Church'.
[Source:EVENING HURONITE, Thu 1 Apr 1937, p8c1]
- 1952 Mar
23--Plainsman 'pictures RAULT standing in the choir loft with one of the
large circular stained glass windows in the background.'
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 9 Feb 1997, p1c2]
- c1983--THE HISTORY OF THE CATHOLIC
CHURCH IN HURON, SOUTH DAKOTA, compiled by Mayme ARTEMAN.
- 1983 Oct--Saint Martin Church
Centennial Mass Order of Service.
- 1986--'Open house set Sunday afternoon
at Catholic church'. Church of the
Resurrection open house of the new church hall and chapel addition. Rev. Donald Imming.
[Source:Undated clipping, abt 18 Mar 1986]
- 1989--'St. Martin Cemetery recipient of
facelift'. 'The stone cross which
is set in cement at the Altar came from the St. John Regional Medical
Center, now Huron Regional Medical Center. The St. Martin Cemetery dates back to the 1880s. The land was donated by Vern STAHLY's
mother's family, the McDONALDs [sic/John and Mary Lovina McCONNELL].
[Source:HURON DAILY PLAINSMAN, Tue 17 Oct 1989, p5c2]
- 1991--'Forward Together As One
Family'. Saint Martin of Tours
Catholic Church and Church of the Resurrection pictorial directory.
- 1992--'Priests reassigned to Huron to
serve in local parishes'.
Mentions:Rev. Donald IMMING, Rev. Michael KELLY*, Rev. Joseph
MURPHY*, Rev. Gerald THURY, Rev. Joseph VOGEL. Photographs*.
[Source:HURON PLAINSMAN, Fri 10 Jan 1992, p6c1]
- 1994--'Catholics' spiritual lives
enriched by laity'. Rev. J. E.
MURPHY*. Rev. Mike KELLY 1978-81;
MURPHY, a 4-1/2 year stay around the same time. They returned as a team January 1992. 'St .Martin was organized in 1882, and
the current sanctuary downtown was built in 1914. The Church of the Resurrection in
Southwest Huron was dedicated in 1969.'
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 4 Feb 1994, p5c1]
- 1996--'Moving with godspeed, Former convent taken to rural Alpena property'. The building was built in Huron in 1913 by J. W. CAMPBELL, and was a private home until St. Martin Church purchased it in 1928 and operated by the church until 1991. Purchased by Dr. Michael and Ann GUERIN. Photograph of Sister Jean HUNTIMER in front of the former convent.
- 1997--'Still shining brightly, Stained
glass windows in St. Martin Church reflect rare process'. Windows installed in March 1952 (March
23, 1952 PLAINSMAN).
Mentions:Olivia BEERMAN, Renada CAHILL, Florence DAVE, Rev. Michael
KELLY, Rhonda KLUDT, Rev. Martin O'CONNOR, Monsignor J. J. O'NEILL, Andre
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 9 Feb 1997, p1c1]
- 1998 Jun--'Huron priest retiring after
38 years'. Rev. Joseph MURPHY has
served Church of the Resurrection for 10-1/2 years during two
appointments. MURPHY also serves
Saint Patrick's Catholic in Cavour.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 21 Jun 1998, pB1c1]
- 1998 Jun--'Members of St. Patrick's
lose church and priest to retirement'.
Rev. Joseph MURPHY retired.
[Source:ARGUS LEADER (Sioux Falls), Mon 29 Jun 1998, pD2c1]
- 1999 Jun--'Huron Catholic Community
has a new name'. Holy Trinity
Catholic Parish. Name change
effective July 1.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 27 Jun 1999, pB4c1]
- 1999 Dec--'St. Martin's School marks
70th anniversary with rededication', opened its doors November 12, 1929.
[Source:PAY DAY (Huron SD) Thu 23 Dec 1999, p4c5]
- 2002 May--'Three become one, Catholic
church in Cavour, Huron will soon come together under one roof'. Holy Trinity Parish. Photograph of Father Joseph HOLZHAUSER
and Father Jim ZIMMER in front of Saint Martin Catholic Church.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sat 25 May 2002, p1c2]
- 2002 Nov--'It's been nine years in the
making'. Kickoff to build a new
Catholic Life Center, attached to the southeast end of the Church of the
Resurrection, 21st ST and Campbell Drive.
Photograph of Father Joe HOLZHAUSER and Father Jim ZIMMER,
background is Church of the Resurrection.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 24 Nov 2002, p1c2]
- 2003 Sep--'Holy Trinity Catholic to
break ground' for the Catholic Parish Life Center, 425 21st ST SW. Photograph:Rev. Joe HOLZHAUSER; drawing
of the new Center.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Wed 24 Sep 2003, p3c1]
- 2003 Oct--'Ground breaking'. Photograph of Jim MURTHA, Bob TAYLOR,
Fran HENDRICKS, Rev. Joe HOLZHAUSER, Mayor Mary PEARSON, Bishop Robert
CARLSON and Rev. Jim ZIMMER.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Wed 1 Oct 2003, p6c3]
- 2004 Jan--'Parish Life Center is
taking shape'. Photographs of Rev.
Joe HOLZHAUSER and the construction site.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Thu 15 Jan 2004, p1c4]
- 2004 Apr--'Holy Trinity Family Life
Center takes shape'. Construction
is about 40 percent complete.
'When the school was first built in 1929, it was known as Saint
Theresa School, but in 1961 it was changed to Saint Martin's School.' Photograph of construction site.
[Source DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 18 Apr 2004, p1c2]
- 2004 Jun--'Priest leaving for
Aberdeen'. Rev. Jim ZIMMER. Photographs of Rev. Jim ZIMMER and Rev.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sat 26 Jun 2004, p1c5]
- 2004 Jul--'Catholic school gets new
name'. Effective July 1, Saint
Martin's School is now Holy Trinity Catholic School. Rev. Joe HOLZHAUSER. Photograph, Brian SIEH.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Thu 22 Jul 2004, p1c2]
- 2004 Aug--'Parish Life Center now
open'. Photograph of the ribbon
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Tue 17 Aug 2004, p1c1]
- 2006--'Closing a page of
history', Saint Martin's Catholic
Church was demolished Thursday.
Locations:the first was built on land donated by T. J. NICHOL (sold
and removed from the lot east of the second structure). Construction began
on the second building in 1913.
Stained glass windows from the front and side were removed and
installed at the new Holy Trinity Catholic Church. Mentions:Rev. Paul ANDERSON,
CODDINGTON, Ed & Grace CORCORAN, Ronald CRAVENS, Richard Cardinal
CUSHING, Rev. D. F. DESMOND, DINNEEN, DOWNEY, Minnie FLANAGAN, Rev. Robert
FLANNERY, GILLESPIE, Rev. Robert HAIRE, Fran (Jim) HENDRICKS, Rev. Joe
HOLZHAUSER, Rev. Michael KELLY, Bishop Martin MARTY, Msgr. John McENEANEY,
Rev. John MURRAY, Rev. Rodney PARKE, Jim & Dorothy POLLOCK, Catherine
SAARIE, Gene & Madelyne SAARIE, Lawrence & Edith SLEPIKAS, LeRoy
& Rose SLEPIKAS, SPELLMAN, TIMMONS, VAUGHN, T. C. & Marjorie
WAITS. Source for article was 'The
History of the Catholic Church in Huron', by Mayme ARTEMAN.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Fri 10 Mar 2006, p1c2]
- 2006--'Corrections', Mentions:Pam & Russ LAYTON, LeRoy
& Rose SLEPIKAS, Scott & Tammy SLEPIKAS.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sat 11 Mar 2006, p2c6]
- 2006--'Holy Trinity puts on talent
show, opens time capsule'. Saint
Martin's School ground breaking 19 May 1929
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Thu 2 Feb 2006, p14c5]
- 2007--'New parish priest in
Huron. Rev. Terry R.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sat 14 Jul 2007, p6c1]
- 2009--'Holy Trinity celebration', 10th
anniversary. Formerly Saint
Patrick's (Cavour), Saint Martin of Tours (Huron) and Church of the
Resurrection (425 21st ST SW, Huron).
The stations of the cross are from Saint Patrick's. Father Terry ANDERSON [photograph].
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 26 Jul 2009, pB1c2]
- 2009--'80 years of Catholic
education'. Now known as Holy
Trinity Catholic School; formerly Saint Teresa Catholic School and Saint
Martin Parish School.
Mentions:Keith CYPHERT, Peggy CYPHERT, Michelle SCHOENFELDER
[photograph], Sister Bridget.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Sun 26 Jul 2009, pB1c2]
505 California Avenue Southwest, Huron SD
- 1885--'The new Congregational Church',
corner of 5th & California streets facing Capitol hill'. 'The First Congregational church
society of Huron was instituted in this on June 1st, 1884, being the
seventh religious organization in the city....". Sketch of the church.
[Source:DAKOTA HURONITE, 13 Aug 1885, p1c5]
- 1886--'Congregational Church
Anniversary'. 'Sunday, Sept. 12,
was the second anniversary of the organization of the Congregational
church in this place.'
Mentions:Rev. A. A. MURPHY.
[Source:DAILY HURONITE, 13 Sep 1886, p3c1]
- 1904--“Congregationalists Rededicate
[Source:Journal=World, Thu 28 Jan 1904, p1c6]
- 1906--Cong. Church, Huron, Southwest
corner of California & 5th Streets (Block 17, Lots 1 & 2, 2nd
[Source:1906 ATLAS, p89]
[Source:1906 ATLAS, p101b]
- 1951--'Pastor Profiles No. 6'. Rev. Glenn E. VAN VACTOR, First Congregational
Church, Huron, SD.
[Source:Huronite & Daily Plainsman, Fri 25 May 1951, p9c4]
- 1992--'Called to service, Rev.
Blumenfeld leaving ministry after 36 years'. Rev. Frances BLUMENFELD came to Huron in October, 1984. Photograph.
[Source:HURON PLAINSMAN, Mon 27 May 1992, p1c3]
- 1994--'Continuing a tradition of
faith', 5th ST and California AV.
Congregation formed in 1884, the first congregation to begin
meeting in Huron. The current
building was built in 1918.
Photograph:Ardella BRANDENBURG, Evelyn FRIESE, Allen GREENFIELD,
Helen HEPLER, Nels OLSEN.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 30 Sep 1994, p11c1]
- 1995--'Gustafson named pastor'. Rev. Mark W. GUSTAFSON began his Huron
ministry November 1. Photograph.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Fri 1 Dec 1995, p5c1]
- 2001--'Congregational UCC has new
pastor', 505 California AV SW.
Rev. Brian GROVER conducted his first service Sunday. Photograph.
[Source:PLAINSMAN, Thu 12 Jul 2001, p6c1]
- 2009--'Happy 125th anniversary'. Group photogragh. Photograph of the old church in 1903,
located in what is now the parking lot of the current church. Organized June 1884. The church was built and the
cornerstone laid 18 Apr 1885. The
cornerstone of the current building was laid May 1920 with facility
dedication April 1922.
[Source:DAILY PLAINSMAN, Sun 5 Jul 2009, pB1c2]
- 1904--'The Evangelical Lutheran church
of the Holy Communion, of Huron, S. D., was organized in November,
1903. Officers were elected on
January 4 and the organization completed.
The members have already raised $550 toward supporting a pastor.'
[Source:JOURNAL=WORLD, Thu 14 Jan 1904, p11c6]