Source: Andreas, A T. Andrea's historical atlas of Dakota. Chicago: A. T. Andreas, 1884; [Printed by] R. R. Donnelley & Sons, The Lakeside Press.p. 146, col. 3--Continued
The Pioneer Union Sunday school was the first religious organization in the city. It began with a membership of fourteen, on the 27th day of June, 1880. It was discontinued on the 4th day of November, 1883.
The first church organization, the Baptist, was organized on the 23d day of August, 1880, with Rev. George A. Cressey as pastor and Edwin G. Wheeler, deacon. During the first three and a half years, sixty-three persons united with the church, three by baptism. The first church edifice erected in the city, located on the corner of Third and Kansas streets, was begun by this society, and finished in the fall of 1880, at a cost of $2,000. In January, 1884, the Rev. George A. Cressey resigned, and the Rev. B. F. Humphrey, of Kimball, Dakota, was called as a stated supply, until April 1, 1884. [Photograph and additional information]
The second organization was by the Presbyterians, Rev. W. S. Peterson, on the 29th day of August, 1880.
The first religious service held in Huron was on May 6, 1880, by Rev. M. E. Chaplin, of Mitchell, a missionary of the Presbyterian Board of Home Missions. On the 20th day of June, 1880, Rev. W. S. Peterson, mentioned before, took his place and preached every Sabbath until August 8, 1880, after which the Rev. George A. Cressey, of the Baptist Church, preached each alternate Sunday. On the 1st day of August, 1881, a subscription paper was started, to raise a building fund. The structure was begun on the 19th day of October, 1881, but for lack of funds was not completed until July 30, 1882, when the church was dedicated free of debt. The edifice is located on the corner of Fourth and Wisconsin streets. Its dimensions are 44x30 feet, and the cost was in the neighborhood of $5,000. A fine toned bell from the Troy, N.Y. bell foundry, weighing eight hundred pounds, hangs in the belfry. The church is handsomely finished, and seats about two hundred people.
[Methodist Episcopal church]
A Methodist Episcopal society was organized at an early date, and meetings were held in various places until the completion of the present splendid Gothic edifice, located on the northwest corner of Kansas and Fourth streets. This beautiful temple of worship, perhaps the finest in Dakota, was begun on the 7th day of August, 1883, at which time Rev. C. C. McCabe, D.D., laid the corner stone wtih imposing ceremonies. The building is cruciform, with lofty arched nave and transept, and two finely proportioned towers, gracing the principal front, which faces the east. The more prominent one on the southeast corner of the edifice is 104 feet in height. The extreme dimensions are 72 by 90 feet, and the lofty roof adds prominence to its elevation, while a fine Eliza-
page 147, col. 1
bethan window over the main entrance is a striking and elegant feature of the edifice. The material used is red brick over a frame of wood, with appropriate cut stone trimmings. The interior is finished in wood with pendants and carved ornamentations. The main audience room is 56 by 40 feet, having a seating capacity of 600. The building is lighted by beautiful stained glass windows. The total cost of this elegant structure, which is the most conspicuous in the city, has been about $13,000. A fine organ and bell will be among the attractions when the house is complete.
The dedicatory services were conducted by Rev. Dr. J. H. Moore, on the 3d of February last. The pastor in charge is Rev. J. B. Seymour. A flourishing Sabbath school is connected with the church, and the congregation is the largest in the city. A comfortable parsonage adjoins the church, and the society’s property is well kept and valuable.
The Episcopal Church is situated on the corner of Fourth and Kansas streets, Rev. M. Hoyt, D.D., is the resident rector. The society was organized in 1881, and incorporated as a religious body in June, 1883. The congregation numbers about 150, and the church property is valued at $2,000.
[St. Martin’s Catholic Church]
St. Martin’s Catholic Church is under the charge of Rev. Father W. Haire, who has been in charge of this mission since the fall of 1880. The edifice was completed in the fall of 1883, and is worth, with its grounds, $3,600.
[German Lutheran society]
The German Lutheran society has an organization here, and the foundations have been laid for a church edifice. The building will be completed during the summer of 1884. Rev. O. Cloeter is the pastor.